ANDROPAUSE: Testosterone is a hormone produced primarily in the testicles.
Men's testosterone levels naturally decline as they age. As this happens, men may only experience a few symptoms from this lower testosterone level that they can attribute to their age.
However, other individuals develop hypogonadism, a disease in which the body is unable to produce reasonable amounts of testosterone due to either a problem with the testicles or the pituitary gland that controls the testicles.
Hypogonadism can cause all the symptoms associated with lower testosterone levels in men younger than would usually be seen.
In the case of hypogonadism, testosterone therapy is suggested to help the individual reach an average level for their age and to improve the symptoms.
A simple blood test can determine if low testosterone is due to natural aging or disease.
It is important to note that some symptoms of low testosterone levels can also be a result of other lifestyle factors such as medication side effects, thyroid problems, depression, and excessive alcohol use. (Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com)
TESTOSTERONE TREATMENTS: Although testosterone levels naturally lower as men age, there is no evidence suggesting that older males need less of the hormone than their younger counterparts.
Some studies even suggest that since androgens induce their own receptors, tissues receiving low amounts of testosterone are less receptive to the effects of the hormone than those more fully supplied.
The testosterone therapies are not praised by everyone. Some physicians avoid treating older men with testosterone for fear that it may promote prostate cancer growth. While prostate cancer growth has not yet been positively linked with testosterone therapy, other complications exist as well.
Other issues include erythrocytosis, possible promulgation of sleep apnea, and a reduction of HDL cholesterol levels. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
ANDROGEL: YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
1. What are your thoughts on Androgel? Dr. Power: Androgel is a topical testosterone form that is an alternative to injectable testosterone.
I prefer injectable testosterone because the dosing is more reliable and there is no testosterone transfer to women and children, but Androgel is a possible alternative for testosterone replacement.
2. Who is Androgel for? Dr. Power: Men with low testosterone.
3. What is considered an average testosterone level? (what is the range between healthy levels and unhealthy levels). Dr. Power: The range for "normal" testosterone is extensive: around 250-1200ng/dL (nanograms per deciliter).
Men at the lower end of this range; below 400 or 500, or frequently symptomatic but are typically denied treatment as long as their testosterone level is in the "normal" range.
Some studies have shown an increased risk of heart disease and cancer at levels below 350. Most men feel better and lose weight if levels are raised to the 800-900 range.
4. How is testosterone measured and what are the units used in measuring testosterone? Dr. Power: A blood test is the most accurate way to check testosterone levels. Both total and free testosterone should be monitored.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Hormone Therapies: How They Have Evolved and Are Evolving - May 19th, 2023 [February 10th, 2023]
- Slow Aging with Growth Hormone - July 17th, 2022 [July 17th, 2022]
- Cheaping Out on HGH Therapy – JUST DON’T DO IT - August 1st, 2023 [July 12th, 2022]
- Hormone Impacts And Function Of HGH - July 10th, 2022 [July 10th, 2022]
- General Physician Versus Hormone Specialist – Some Symptoms Require a Specialist to Heal - April 20th, 2023 [March 18th, 2022]
- An Introduction to Growth Hormone - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Pneumonia - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Hypothalamus Gland - November 13th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Law - November 14th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Gene Therapy - November 16th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- What Men Need To Know About Testosterone And Growth Hormone - November 15th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Explained - November 9th, 2021 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Best Ways to Boost Growth Hormone - November 22nd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Sprays - November 17th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Dosage - November 18th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Insulin-Similar Growth Factor Benefits - November 9th, 2021 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Benefits of IGF-1 - November 20th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy is Safe - November 23rd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Estrogen HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Therapy Reverses Biological Age In Groundbreaking Study - November 21st, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue: Sermorelin - November 9th, 2021 [October 25th, 2021]
- Early Hormone Replacement Therapy May Lower Alzheimer Risk - November 23rd, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - January 24th, 2022 [September 18th, 2021]
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 9th, 2021 [August 24th, 2021]
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 9th, 2021 [August 18th, 2021]
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - November 9th, 2021 [August 16th, 2021]
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - November 9th, 2021 [August 16th, 2021]
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - August 16th, 2023 [June 21st, 2021]
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 9th, 2021 [May 25th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - March 16th, 2022 [May 24th, 2021]
- HGH Secretagogue - November 9th, 2021 [May 22nd, 2021]
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 9th, 2021 [May 18th, 2021]
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 9th, 2021 [April 30th, 2021]
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - November 9th, 2021 [April 12th, 2021]
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - November 9th, 2021 [April 11th, 2021]
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - November 9th, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - November 9th, 2021 [April 7th, 2021]
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [March 12th, 2021]