Video Download: Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimers Risk.zip
Video Stream: Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimers Risk
CHICAGO -- The latest data from a long-running study of hormone therapy suggests that women who started taking hormone replacements within five years of menopause were 30 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than women who started years later.
The findings reported on Wednesday in the journal Neurology, add to evidence suggesting that taking hormone treatments around the time of menopause may be doing more than just helping women cope with hot flashes and night sweats.
"Our results suggest that there may be a critical window near menopause where hormone therapy may be beneficial," Peter Zandi of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, one of the study leaders, said in a statement.
The findings come as menopausal women and their doctors continue to parse out the risks and benefits of hormone replacement therapy.
Most researchers agree that hormone replacement does not protect women from diseases of aging, and taking these drugs for extended periods of time are associated with significant risks, including breast cancer, heart disease, and gallbladder disease.
Earlier this week, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force reaffirmed its 2005 guidelines recommending against the treatment as a way to prevent chronic disease.
But the influential advisory panel did not weigh in on the use of hormones to treat symptoms of menopause, a practice many professional societies endorse as long as the drugs are prescribed at the lowest possible dose for the shortest period.
The most definitive study on hormone replacement therapy to date comes from the Women's Health Initiative study, a large, randomized trial that was stopped early in 2002 when it became clear that women who were taking a combination of estrogen and progestin for five years had higher rates of ovarian cancer, breast cancer, strokes, and other health problems.
A related study, known as the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study, also showed an increased risk of Alzheimer's disease in women who took hormone therapy.
Word Count: 344
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 21st, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 21st, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 21st, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 21st, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 21st, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 21st, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - November 21st, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - November 21st, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - November 21st, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 19th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 19th, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - November 17th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 17th, 2018
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 16th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - March 5th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - January 15th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - January 10th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - January 8th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - January 8th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - December 27th, 2017