Video Download: Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy
Video Stream: Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy
A new Danish study offers some reassurance to women using hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for menopausal symptoms: the treatment may not only ease discomfort from hot flashes, but early use also appears not to increase the women's risk of heart problems or death.
Skepticism surrounding hormone replacement therapy stems from the results of the landmark Women's Health Initiative (WHI), a large federal study that was halted in 2002 when study authors linked estrogen-progestin pills to increased risks for heart disease and breast cancer.
Since then, follow-up studies have begun to clarify some of the risks and benefits, finding that, for example, women who take estrogen-only hormone therapy (instead of combination estrogen-progestin pills) shortly after menopause don't have the same elevated heart risks.
In fact, they may even enjoy a lower risk of breast cancer. Only women who have had hysterectomies can take estrogen-only hormone treatments.
In the new study, published in the journal BMJ, researchers divided 1,006 recently menopausal women aged 45 to 58 into one of two groups: an HRT group and a non-HRT group (the women not taking HRT also did not receive a placebo).
Originally, the study, whose participants were initially enrolled in 1990-93, was intended to last 20 years. But at ten years, when results from the WHI came out, the researchers recommended that participants stop taking their hormones. At this point, more women in the non-HRT group had died from heart-related causes.
The researchers continued to track the women for an additional six years and found that women in the HRT group were still less likely to die from heart-related incidents.
By the end of the study, 23 women in the non-HRT group had died of cardiovascular-related causes, and 17 had died of unrelated causes, compared with six women who had died of heart disease among the HRT group and 21 who died from other causes.
Women taking HRT were also less likely to experience a heart attack or heart failure. The authors further report no apparent increase of cancer or stroke among women getting hormone therapy.
However, observers note that the small study numbers make it difficult to draw any firm conclusions from its findings.
Health experts are not quick to change current recommendations for HRT use: doctors prescribe hormone therapy only to relieve the worst menopause symptoms and only for short periods of time, not to prevent chronic conditions like heart disease, cancer or dementia.
Heart Benefits from Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone Replacement Therapy May Have Heart Health Benefits
Word Count: 432
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 8th, 2019
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 3rd, 2019
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - February 26th, 2019
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 20th, 2019
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - February 10th, 2019
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - February 10th, 2019
- IGF-1 Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - February 8th, 2019
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - February 8th, 2019
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - February 2nd, 2019
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - January 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy - December 24th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - November 27th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - November 27th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - November 27th, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 21st, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 21st, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 21st, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 21st, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 19th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 19th, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - November 17th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 17th, 2018
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 16th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018