Video Download: Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes.zip
Video Stream: Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes
(Reuters) -- A few sessions of behavioral therapy, even a "self-help" version, may help some women find relief from menopausal hot flashes, according to a British study.
Researchers writing in the journal Menopause said that after six weeks of cognitive behavioral therapy, more than two-thirds of the women who underwent, through group sessions or self-help, had a "clinically significant" drop in problems related to hot flashes and night sweats.
Hormone replacement therapy is considered the most effective treatment for hot flashes, but since hormones have been linked to increased risks of heart disease, blood clots, and breast cancer, many women want alternative remedies.
Some antidepressants have been found to cool hot flashes, but "natural products" -- such as black cohosh, soy, and flaxseed -- have failed to meet the test of clinical trials.
"These results suggest that cognitive behavioral therapy delivered in group or self-help format is a useful treatment option for women during the menopause transition and postmenopause with problematic hot flashes/night sweats," wrote senior researcher Myra Hunter, at King's College London.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is a treatment option for problems ranging from depression to sleep problems to digestive disorders. It aims to change the unhealthy thinking patterns and behaviors that can feed mental or physical symptoms.
Hunter said the therapy "involves developing helpful, accepting approaches to hot flashes and also using breathing exercises to focus attention away from the flashes and negative thoughts."
Hunter recruited 140 women who had been having hot flashes and night sweats at least ten times a week for a month or more, randomly assigning them to either group-based therapy, a self-help version or no treatment.
Group therapy sessions took place four times a month. Self-help treatment involved one meeting and a phone call with a psychologist, but otherwise, they used a book and CD.
After six weeks, 65 percent of women who underwent group therapy reported a significant drop in how problematic their hot-flash symptoms were. The same was true of 73 percent of women in the self-help group. In comparison, only 21 percent of women experienced a drop in hot flashes without any treatment.
Behavioral therapy may help hot flashes: study
Say Goodbye to Hot Flashes
Word Count: 390
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 21st, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 21st, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 21st, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 21st, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 21st, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - November 21st, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - November 21st, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - November 21st, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 19th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 19th, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - November 17th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 17th, 2018
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 16th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - March 5th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - January 15th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - January 10th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - January 8th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - January 8th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - December 27th, 2017