Is it possible to undergo Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) safely? That question is at the heart of a small new study testing whether the improved timing and refined delivery may help early menopausal women get the benefits of hormones relatively safely and without long-term risks.
For some women, menopause brings mental and physical symptoms that can make life a misery. Replacing estrogen and progestin may help relieve complaints like hot flashes, irritability, brain fog, and vaginal dryness.
But studies show that taking hormones, even temporarily, has risks. In a large, government-funded trial called Women's Health Initiative (WHI) that was released about a decade ago, postmenopausal women who took HRT had higher risks of blood clots, strokes, heart disease, and breast cancer.
But the WHI enrolled women ages 50-79, many of whom started hormones when they were over 65 years old and well past menopause. Many doctors have wondered if replacement hormones might be safer if given as soon as they start to drop naturally in the body, around age 50 or so. It's a theory called the timing hypothesis.
Preliminary results from the new four-year study, called the Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS), were presented Wednesday at the annual meeting of the North American Menopause Society in Orlando, Fla.
The study tested two forms of estrogen, in either a patch or a pill, along with progesterone, against a placebo in 737 women who were near menopause. The average age of women in the KEEPS study was 52, or within three years of entering menopause, and none had any evidence of heart disease.
Along with looking at two different ways to deliver estrogen, doctors lowered the usual dose, from 0.625 milligrams to 0.45 milligrams a day. The progesterone used in the study was taken for just 12 days of the month.
We tried to simulate as much as we could the regular menstrual cycle hormonal changes, says researcher Sanjay Asthana, MD, director of the Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged
Menopause: Changes and Challenges
Word Count: 367
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - November 27th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - November 27th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - November 27th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - November 27th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - November 27th, 2018
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 21st, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 21st, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 21st, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 21st, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 21st, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - November 21st, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - November 21st, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - November 21st, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 19th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 19th, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - November 17th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 17th, 2018
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 16th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - March 5th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018