Is it possible to undergo Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) safely? That question is at the heart of a small new study testing whether the improved timing and refined delivery may help early menopausal women get the benefits of hormones relatively safely and without long-term risks.
For some women, menopause brings mental and physical symptoms that can make life a misery. Replacing estrogen and progestin may help relieve complaints like hot flashes, irritability, brain fog, and vaginal dryness.
But studies show that taking hormones, even temporarily, has risks. In a large, government-funded trial called Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) that was released about a decade ago, postmenopausal women who took HRT had higher risks of blood clots, strokes, heart disease, and breast cancer.
But the WHI enrolled women ages 50-79, many of whom started hormones when they were over 65 years old and well past menopause. Many doctors have wondered if replacement hormones might be safer if given as soon as they start to drop naturally in the body, around age 50 or so. It’s a theory called the timing hypothesis.
Preliminary results from the new four-year study, called the Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS), were presented Wednesday at the annual meeting of the North American Menopause Society in Orlando, Fla.
The study tested two forms of estrogen, in either a patch or a pill, along with progesterone, against a placebo in 737 women who were near menopause. The average age of women in the KEEPS study was 52, or within three years of entering menopause, and none had any evidence of heart disease.
Along with looking at two different ways to deliver estrogen, doctors lowered the usual dose, from 0.625 milligrams to 0.45 milligrams a day. The progesterone used in the study was taken for just 12 days of the month.
We tried to simulate as much as we could the regular menstrual cycle hormonal changes, says researcher Sanjay Asthana, MD, director of the Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - September 13th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - September 11th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - September 11th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - September 10th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - September 7th, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - September 5th, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - July 14th, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - July 14th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - July 13th, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - July 2nd, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - June 30th, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - June 27th, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - June 27th, 2018
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - June 9th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - March 5th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - February 1st, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - January 15th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - January 10th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - January 8th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - January 8th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - December 27th, 2017
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - December 19th, 2017
- HGH Secretagogue - July 25th, 2017