Video Download: A Toxic Hormone Seems To Be Changing The Sex Of Fish In Us Rivers.zip
Video Stream: A Toxic Hormone Seems To Be Changing The Sex Of Fish In Us Rivers
The Hormone is Used in the Raising of Cattle but Finds its Way to Rivers and Streams
A chemical compound used to artificially stimulate weight gain in cows may be contaminating aquatic ecosystems in the United States and disrupting the reproductive processes of fish, according to a new study in the journal Nature Communications.
Earlier research had seemed to show that the chemical breaks down and becomes harmless when exposed to sunlight.
However, it appears that when the chemicals wind up in rivers and streams, they morph back into 17-alpha-trenbolone at nightfall, according to the new Nature Communications study.
“As goes the compound, [so] goes the risk. In the sunlight, the mixture goes away. Therefore the risk has also gone away,” said lead study author Adam Ward, assistant professor at Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs. “What our study shows is that chemically, that’s not true.”
The full extent of the damage that might be caused by the hormone is unknown.
The hormone 17-alpha-trenbolone leaves cows through their manure and moves into rivers, streams and other bodies of water where it can disturb fish and other sea dwellers.
The hormone resembles testosterone in its effects, but it’s many times stronger. Incredibly, it also has been shown to reverse the sex of fish and reduce their rates of reproduction.
“We’re releasing this into the environment at levels that are potentially problematic for the ecosystem,” said Ward. “If you’re an amphibian, a fish, a minnow, you spend your whole life being bathed in this sort of low dose of testosterone.”
The implications of the research will shake up the way regulators approach risk management in water systems, Ward said.
Managing 17-alpha-trenbolone and all of its related compounds requires considering “potency of mixtures,” Ward said, not just the potency of individual compounds.
And trenbolone acetate is far from the only endocrine disruptor affecting aquatic life in lakes and streams across the country, according to research from the U.S. Geological Survey.
Vinclozolin, a fungicide, and insecticides like DDT and carbaryl have also led to similar changes.
“The prevailing wisdom on risk management is incomplete,” he said. “We’ve got tens of thousands of compounds that we produce and use in this country every year, but we don’t know what happens to them into [sic] the environment in complicated systems.”
Word Count: 442
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - October 17th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - October 2nd, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - September 13th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - September 11th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - September 11th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - September 10th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - September 7th, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - September 5th, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - July 14th, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - July 14th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - July 13th, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - July 5th, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - July 2nd, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - June 30th, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - June 27th, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - June 27th, 2018
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - June 9th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - January 15th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - January 10th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - January 8th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - January 8th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - December 27th, 2017
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - December 19th, 2017