ANDROPAUSE: Testosterone is a hormone produced primarily in the testicles.
However, other individuals develop hypogonadism, a disease in which the body is unable to produce reasonable amounts of testosterone due to either a problem with the testicles or the pituitary gland that controls the testicles.
Hypogonadism can cause all the symptoms associated with lower testosterone levels in men younger than would usually be seen.
In the case of hypogonadism, testosterone therapy is suggested to help the individual reach an average level for their age and to improve the symptoms.
A simple blood test can determine if low testosterone is due to natural aging or disease.
It is important to note that some symptoms of low testosterone levels can also be a result of other lifestyle factors such as medication side effects, thyroid problems, depression, and excessive alcohol use. (Source: http://www.mayoclinic.com)
TESTOSTERONE TREATMENTS: Although testosterone levels naturally lower as men age, there is no evidence suggesting that older males need less of the hormone than their younger counterparts.
Some studies even suggest that since androgens induce their own receptors, tissues receiving low amounts of testosterone are less receptive to the effects of the hormone than those more fully supplied.
The testosterone therapies are not praised by everyone. Some physicians avoid treating older men with testosterone for fear that it may promote prostate cancer growth. While prostate cancer growth has not yet been positively linked with testosterone therapy, other complications exist as well.
Other issues include erythrocytosis, possible promulgation of sleep apnea, and a reduction of HDL cholesterol levels. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
ANDROGEL: YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
1. What are your thoughts on Androgel? Dr. Power: Androgel is a topical testosterone form that is an alternative to injectable testosterone.
I prefer injectable testosterone because the dosing is more reliable and there is no testosterone transfer to women and children, but Androgel is a possible alternative for testosterone replacement.
2. Who is Androgel for? Dr. Power: Men with low testosterone.
3. What is considered an average testosterone level? (what is the range between healthy levels and unhealthy levels). Dr. Power: The range for “normal” testosterone is extensive: around 250-1200ng/dL (nanograms per deciliter).
Some studies have shown an increased risk of heart disease and cancer at levels below 350. Most men feel better and lose weight if levels are raised to the 800-900 range.
4. How is testosterone measured and what are the units used in measuring testosterone? Dr. Power: A blood test is the most accurate way to check testosterone levels. Both total and free testosterone should be monitored.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - September 13th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - September 11th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - September 10th, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - September 7th, 2018
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - September 5th, 2018
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - July 14th, 2018
- IGF-1 Treatment - July 14th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - July 13th, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - July 5th, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - July 2nd, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - June 30th, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - June 27th, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - June 27th, 2018
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - June 9th, 2018
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 6th, 2018
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - March 7th, 2018
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - March 5th, 2018
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 4th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - February 1st, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
- Gene Therapy - January 16th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - January 15th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - January 10th, 2018
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - January 8th, 2018
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - January 8th, 2018
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - December 27th, 2017
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - December 19th, 2017
- HGH Secretagogue - July 25th, 2017