Video Link: https://vimeo.com/286619780
Video Download: Study Examines Link Between Growth Hormones And Osteoporosis
Video Stream: Study Examines Link Between Growth Hormones And Osteoporosis
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — For women with thinning bones, Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy is a different but possibly effective option for battling osteoporosis. “The idea of growth hormone helping osteoporosis is not new,” says Dr. Michael Farrell, an internist at Allegheny General Hospital.
A study from Sweden indicates that women on growth hormone replacement therapy had denser, thicker bones, and therefore had greater protection from fractures.
“This study looked at fracture risk, which is what you really care about,” says Dr. Farrell. The study involved 80 women, ages 50 to 70.
For 18 months, they got daily shots of either a placebo, a single unit of growth hormone or a two and a half unit of growth hormone.
At that point, they were monitored for ten years. Then they were compared to a group of 120 women who did not take growth hormone.
Not only was bone density higher in women in the treated group, but if they were suffering from osteoporosis, they experienced half the fracture rate. The women with osteoporosis who did not take growth hormone had four times the fracture rate.
Growth hormone is made in the brain's pituitary gland. It regulates growth in children, as well as body fluids and muscle and bone growth. But growth hormone is not just for kids.
FDA-approved uses include growth deficiency and certain genetic conditions. Standard unapproved uses include athletes looking for an edge and aging people find a way to slow down aging.
But Growth hormone is not without risks
The risks of growth hormone include increasing the chance of stroke and breast cancer. But there is no bullet-proof treatment for osteoporosis.
Other medicines used to treat the condition, but they may have side effects as well, such as bone and heart problems. Young postmenopausal women with low cardiovascular risk might be the best candidates for growth hormone replacement therapy.
“People have to be willing to do an injection daily, too,” Dr. Farrell points out. Even if it takes off as an alternative treatment, it’s likely specialists will be the ones to prescribe it. “It’s ghastly expensive.
The cost of growth hormone per month for people I know who have growth hormone therapy is on the order of thousands of dollars,” he adds.
Study Looks At Link Between Growth Hormones and Osteoporosis
Growth Hormone Reduces Risk of Osteoporosis Fractures in Older Women
Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factors as Anabolic Therapies for Osteoporosis
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Researchers Investigate Declining Sperm Counts, Find Chemicals Rampant - June 24th, 2022 [June 14th, 2022]
- Testosterone, Statins, and Prostate Cancer - November 9th, 2021 [October 19th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Smoking - November 9th, 2021 [October 14th, 2021]
- Testosterone and Women - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Menopause - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone, Exercise, and Osteoporosis: The Facts! - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy, Menopause, and Cancer - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone, Foods, and Supplements for Healthy Skin - March 15th, 2022 [October 13th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Lifestyle = An Extended Lifespan - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy and Aerobics May Ease Menopause Symptoms - November 9th, 2021 [October 13th, 2021]
- The Link Between Testosterone and Tylenol - November 9th, 2021 [October 12th, 2021]
- Low Testosterone and Hypogonadism: The Difference - March 16th, 2022 [October 12th, 2021]
- Growth hormone = More Sleep = Better Sex! - November 9th, 2021 [October 11th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Battles Osteoporosis - November 9th, 2021 [October 11th, 2021]
- HGH Male Blood Panel - October 28th, 2021 [September 28th, 2021]
- Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Women's Hearts - November 9th, 2021 [August 18th, 2021]
- Enjoy a Few Drinks Weekly? Beware: This May Be a Link to Low Sperm Counts and Quality - November 9th, 2021 [August 16th, 2021]
- Fast Facts About DHEA: What You Need to Know About This Natural Steroid - April 15th, 2023 [March 4th, 2021]
- Everything You Need to Know About Clomiphene - November 9th, 2021 [December 20th, 2020]
- Menopause Drugs: Study Stokes New Debate Over Cancer Risks - November 9th, 2021 [December 16th, 2020]
- The Importance of Hormonal Balance for Menopause - November 9th, 2021 [December 14th, 2020]
- L-Arginine: The Key to Both Heart Health and Sexual Health - November 9th, 2021 [December 4th, 2020]
- Testosterone and Fatherhood - November 25th, 2021 [October 12th, 2020]
- Tattoo Safety: What to Know Before You Get a Tattoo - November 9th, 2021 [June 2nd, 2020]
- High-Intensity Interval Training Boosts Both Body and Mind - November 9th, 2021 [May 10th, 2020]
- Lipocine Reintroduces Tlando - April 16th, 2023 [March 18th, 2020]
- Insomnia: The Silent Killer - November 9th, 2021 [April 30th, 2019]
- How to Understand and Deal with Cirrhosis - November 9th, 2021 [April 12th, 2019]
- Constantly Tired? Can't Sleep? - November 9th, 2021 [March 23rd, 2019]
- Are You Constantly Feeling Tired And Fatigued ? - November 25th, 2021 [May 1st, 2018]