Video Download: Study Examines Link Between Growth Hormones And Osteoporosis
Video Stream: Study Examines Link Between Growth Hormones And Osteoporosis
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — For women with thinning bones, Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy is a different but possibly effective option for battling osteoporosis. “The idea of growth hormone helping osteoporosis is not new,” says Dr. Michael Farrell, an internist at Allegheny General Hospital.
A study from Sweden indicates that women on growth hormone replacement therapy had denser, thicker bones, and therefore had greater protection from fractures.
“This study looked at fracture risk, which is what you really care about,” says Dr. Farrell. The study involved 80 women, ages 50 to 70.
For 18 months, they got daily shots of either a placebo, a single unit of growth hormone or a two and a half unit of growth hormone.
At that point, they were monitored for ten years. Then they were compared to a group of 120 women who did not take growth hormone.
Not only was bone density higher in women in the treated group, but if they were suffering from osteoporosis, they experienced half the fracture rate. The women with osteoporosis who did not take growth hormone had four times the fracture rate.
Growth hormone is made in the brain's pituitary gland. It regulates growth in children, as well as body fluids and muscle and bone growth. But growth hormone is not just for kids.
FDA-approved uses include growth deficiency and certain genetic conditions. Standard unapproved uses include athletes looking for an edge and aging people find a way to slow down aging.
But Growth hormone is not without risks
The risks of growth hormone include increasing the chance of stroke and breast cancer. But there is no bullet-proof treatment for osteoporosis.
Other medicines used to treat the condition, but they may have side effects as well, such as bone and heart problems. Young postmenopausal women with low cardiovascular risk might be the best candidates for growth hormone replacement therapy.
“People have to be willing to do an injection daily, too,” Dr. Farrell points out. Even if it takes off as an alternative treatment, it’s likely specialists will be the ones to prescribe it. “It’s ghastly expensive.
The cost of growth hormone per month for people I know who have growth hormone therapy is on the order of thousands of dollars,” he adds.
Study Looks At Link Between Growth Hormones and Osteoporosis
Growth Hormone Reduces Risk of Osteoporosis Fractures in Older Women
Growth Hormone and Insulin-Like Growth Factors as Anabolic Therapies for Osteoporosis
- Everything You Need to Know About Clomiphene - December 20th, 2020
- Women Can Boost Their Testosterone Just by Acting Like a Boss - December 19th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone and Menopause Management - December 18th, 2020
- Menopause Drugs: Study Stokes New Debate Over Cancer Risks - December 16th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Women's Hearts - December 15th, 2020
- The Importance of Hormonal Balance for Menopause - December 14th, 2020
- New Study Shows the Debilitating Effect of Smoking on the Brain - December 13th, 2020
- Want to Keep Your Bones Strong and Healthy? Then STAY ACTIVE! - December 12th, 2020
- New Study on Menopause Drugs Stokes Fresh Debate Over Cancer Risk - December 11th, 2020
- Foods and Supplements for Healthy Skin - December 10th, 2020
- Enjoy a Few Drinks Weekly? Beware: This May Be a Link to Poor Sperm Quality - December 9th, 2020
- How To Enjoy An Extended, Youthful Lifespan - December 8th, 2020
- Tylenol Use in Pregnancy May Present a Serious Risk of Lower Testosterone in Boys - December 7th, 2020
- Male Hypogonadism: The Word Men Dread to Hear - December 6th, 2020
- Aerobics May Ease Menopause Symptoms: Study - December 5th, 2020
- L-Arginine: The Key to Both Heart Health and Sexual Health - December 4th, 2020
- Statins May Slow Prostate Cancer Progression - December 3rd, 2020
- Fatherhood and Men's Hormonal Changes - December 2nd, 2020
- Not in the Mood for Sex? Scientists Say “You Just Need More Sleep.” - November 17th, 2020
- Male Blood Panel Work - November 11th, 2020
- Tattoo Safety: What to Know Before You Get a Tattoo - June 2nd, 2020
- High-Intensity Interval Training Boosts Both Body and Mind - May 10th, 2020
- Lipocine Reintroduces Tlando - March 18th, 2020
- Insomnia: The Silent Killer - April 30th, 2019
- How to Understand and Deal with Cirrhosis - April 12th, 2019
- Constantly Tired? Can't Sleep? - March 23rd, 2019
- Osteoporosis: What it is and How You Can Fight and Avoid It - March 10th, 2019
- Are You Constantly Feeling Tired And Fatigued ? - May 1st, 2018
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
Word Count: 425