Is it safe to undergo Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT)? A new study will attempt to answer that question by testing whether the precise timing and sophisticated delivery may enable early menopausal women who receive the benefits of hormones safely and without long-term risks.
Some women experience severe mental and physical effects from menopause that result in misery. Substituting estrogen and progestin might ease complaints like hot flashes, irritability, brain fog, and vaginal dryness.
However, studies have concluded that undergoing hormone replacement therapy (HRT), even temporarily, is risky. In a sizeable, government-funded study called Women's Health Initiative (WHI) released about a decade ago, postmenopausal women who underwent HRT had higher risks of blood clots, strokes, heart disease, and breast cancer.
The study consisted of women ages 50-79, many of whom began HRT when they were over 65 years old and well past menopause. Many doctors have questioned if replacement hormones might be safer if started soon after their hormones started to drop naturally, around age 50 or so. It's a concept called the timing hypothesis.
Initial results from the recent four-year study, called the Kronos Early Estrogen Prevention Study (KEEPS), were presented Wednesday at the annual meeting of the North American Menopause Society in Orlando, Fla.
The study tested two types of estrogen, delivered by either a patch or a pill, a long with progesterone, opposed to a placebo given to 737 other women who were close to menopause. The average age of women in the KEEPS study was 52, or within three years of entering menopause, and none had any indications of heart disease.
Aside from comparing the two different ways to deliver estrogen, doctors dropped the usual dose, from 0.625 milligrams to 0.45 milligrams a day. The progesterone used in the study was administered for only 12 days of the month.
"We tried to simulate as much as we could the regular menstrual cycle hormonal changes," says researcher Sanjay Asthana, MD, director of the Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center at the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged
Menopause: Changes and Challenges
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Hormone Therapies: How They Have Evolved and Are Evolving - May 19th, 2023 [February 10th, 2023]
- Slow Aging with Growth Hormone - July 17th, 2022 [July 17th, 2022]
- Cheaping Out on HGH Therapy – JUST DON’T DO IT - August 1st, 2023 [July 12th, 2022]
- Hormone Impacts And Function Of HGH - July 10th, 2022 [July 10th, 2022]
- General Physician Versus Hormone Specialist – Some Symptoms Require a Specialist to Heal - April 20th, 2023 [March 18th, 2022]
- An Introduction to Growth Hormone - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Pneumonia - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Hypothalamus Gland - November 13th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Law - November 14th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Gene Therapy - November 16th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- What Men Need To Know About Testosterone And Growth Hormone - November 15th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Explained - November 25th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Best Ways to Boost Growth Hormone - November 22nd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Sprays - November 17th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Dosage - November 18th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Insulin-Similar Growth Factor Benefits - November 24th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Benefits of IGF-1 - November 20th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy is Safe - November 23rd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Estrogen HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Therapy Reverses Biological Age In Groundbreaking Study - November 21st, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Stimulate HGH: Growth Hormone Secretagogue: Sermorelin Acetate - November 29th, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Early Hormone Replacement Therapy May Lower Alzheimer Risk - November 23rd, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - January 24th, 2022 [September 18th, 2021]
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 30th, 2023 [August 18th, 2021]
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - December 1st, 2023 [August 16th, 2021]
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - November 9th, 2021 [August 16th, 2021]
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - August 16th, 2023 [June 21st, 2021]
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 9th, 2021 [May 25th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - March 16th, 2022 [May 24th, 2021]
- HGH Secretagogue - November 9th, 2021 [May 22nd, 2021]
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - March 15th, 2022 [May 21st, 2021]
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 9th, 2021 [May 18th, 2021]
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 9th, 2021 [April 30th, 2021]
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - November 9th, 2021 [April 12th, 2021]
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - November 9th, 2021 [April 11th, 2021]
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - November 9th, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - November 9th, 2021 [April 7th, 2021]
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [March 12th, 2021]