Video Download: Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen Only Hrt May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Video Stream: Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen Only Hrt May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk
Breast cancer risk may decline in postmenopausal women who take estrogen-only Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT); a review released Thursday concludes.
That represents a substantial change from how estrogen-only hormone therapy was viewed a decade ago, the authors said.
Older observational studies suggested that both of the primary forms of hormone therapy -- estrogen-only for women who have had hysterectomies and an estrogen-progestin combination for women with uteruses -- raised breast cancer risk.
The landmark Women's Health Initiative found that the estrogen-progestin combination did significantly increase the possibility of breast cancer in postmenopausal women. However, the estrogen-alone arm of the study was inconclusive.
A reanalysis of data from that study published earlier this month found that estrogen-only did not raise the risk of breast cancer and even lowered it in women who do not have risk factors for the disease, such as a family history or a history of benign breast disease.
The new review, led by Dr. Rowan T. Chlebowski of the Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, again examined the Women's Health Initiative data.
They concluded that estrogen-alone significantly decreased the risk of breast cancer while estrogen-progestin significantly increased the risk.
A couple of points about hormone therapy and breast cancer are coming into focus.
One is that some of the observational studies of decades past indicating that estrogen-alone increased breast cancer may have been skewed by the fact that hormone users were also more likely to get mammograms and have their cancers detected, the authors said.
Second, it appears that breast cancer cells in postmenopausal women are highly sensitive to changes in levels of hormones and "can survive only a limited range of estrogen exposures," they said.
A substantial change in estrogen levels can halt tumor growth.
If you're a postmenopausal woman and are confused, no wonder.
As the authors state: "[C]oncepts regarding menopausal hormone therapy and breast cancer have undergone considerable change in the last decade."
Women with uncomfortable menopausal symptoms should talk to their doctors about treatment options.
Estrogen-progestin for women with uteruses will increase breast cancer risk, but women who have had hysterectomies have more choices. For everyone, Hormone Replacement Therapy involves weighing some risks and benefits.
The paper appears in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
- HGH Therapy Reverses Biological Age by 1.5 Years In Groundbreaking Study - April 15th, 2021
- Marius Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of Two Key Patents Protecting its Proprietary Oral Testosterone Therapy - April 14th, 2021
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - April 13th, 2021
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - April 12th, 2021
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - April 11th, 2021
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - April 9th, 2021
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - April 8th, 2021
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - April 7th, 2021
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 24th, 2020
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 23rd, 2020
- HGH Secretagogue - November 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 21st, 2020
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 20th, 2020
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2020
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - November 17th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 17th, 2020
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 16th, 2020
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 14th, 2020
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 13th, 2020
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 11th, 2020
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 10th, 2020
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 9th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - November 8th, 2020
- Gene Therapy - November 7th, 2020
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - November 6th, 2020
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - November 5th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - November 3rd, 2020
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - November 2nd, 2020
- IGF-1 Treatment - November 1st, 2020
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - October 31st, 2020
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 29th, 2020
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - October 28th, 2020
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 4th, 2019
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
Word Count: 400