Video Download: New Study Says The Benefits Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy Outweigh The Risks
Video Stream: New Study Says The Benefits Of Testosterone Replacement Therapy Outweigh The Risks
The benefits of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) to treat low Testosterone in both men and women substantially outweigh any risks according to the results of a new study presented at the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists’ (AACE) 24th Annual Scientific and Clinical Congress.
Low Testosterone -- also known as “low-T” -- is characterized by the lack of sex drive, diminishing energy, hair, bone, and muscle mass loss, joint aches and pains, accumulated slabs of fat, depression, and mental confusion, or “brain fog.”
The panel was responding to the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) safety alert issued in March 2015 warning that the benefits and safety of Testosterone medications prescribed for age-related low Testosterone levels have not been proven.
In that statement, the FDA also called for manufacturers to include labeling warning of a possible increased risk of heart attacks and strokes.
Endocrinologist Sandeep Dhindsa MD declared that the FDA provided no meaningful definition of aging, leaving it unclear if age restrictions for Testosterone therapy also apply to mature individuals.
Dr. Dhindsa added that the safety alert does not address the role that Testosterone decline itself plays in common co-morbidities such as obesity and type 2 diabetes at all ages, including adolescents and young men.
“Any patient being considered for testosterone replacement therapy should undergo a thorough diagnostic workup,” Dr. Dhindsa said.
“The decision to replace testosterone therapy should be guided by the signs, symptoms and testosterone concentrations rather than the underlying cause,” he said.
Susan Davis, MBBS FRACP Ph.D. and Director of the Women’s Health Research Program in the School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine Monash University Melbourne also touted the safety and efficacy of TRT in women experiencing hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), a condition that persistently affects female sexual function profoundly impairing quality of life.
“Testosterone has been used to treat women with HSDD for decades with no evidence of emergent adverse events and should be seen as an efficient and safe management option not just for sexual function but also for effects on muscle and bone,” Dr. Davis said.
Their comments agreed with the soon-to-be-published AACE Reproductive Endocrinology position statement on the association between Testosterone and cardiovascular risks which note that there is no compelling evidence that TRT either increases or decreases cardiovascular risks.
They concluded that Testosterone therapy dramatically slashes many cardiovascular risk factors by decreasing fat mass, increasing muscle mass and decreasing insulin resistance.
- Natesto Testosterone Spray: Are you having fertility problems? - July 9th, 2019
- Low-T: What are healthy levels of Testosterone and why is it difficult to measure? - July 1st, 2019
- A Recent Study Concludes: Testosterone DOES NOT Cause Prostate Cancer - June 27th, 2019
- Think Testosterone has no Health Benefits? Think Again! - June 26th, 2019
- LabCorp Announces a Change to the Testosterone Reference Range - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone Therapy - June 13th, 2019
- Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin - April 6th, 2019
- Testosterone Replacement Does Not Cause Heart Attacks - April 4th, 2019
- Did You Know: Low Testosterone Levels Can Predict Metabolic Syndrome - March 10th, 2019
- Testosterone: The Master Protector - February 26th, 2019
- Did You Know? Recent Studies Have Confirmed the Link Between Low Testosterone (“Low-T”) and Depression. - January 31st, 2019
- New Study Finds Testosterone Does Not Increase Your Heart Attack Risk - January 31st, 2019
- The Thyroid Gland: An Unsung Hero - January 29th, 2019
- Fed Up With Looking in the Mirror and Not Liking What You See? - January 27th, 2019
- Judge Vacates $140 Million Verdict in Testosterone Lawsuit - January 26th, 2019
- The Great Testosterone Debate - January 25th, 2019
- In the Battle Against Aging, When do the Risks Outweigh the Rewards? - December 25th, 2018
- Low-T and Older Men: Twice the Risk for Health Problems - November 27th, 2018
- Testosterone Therapy — Good Idea or Not? - November 19th, 2018
- Menopause: It's Not Just a Woman's Problem - November 19th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy Lowers Heart Attack Risk - November 17th, 2018
- Think women don’t need testosterone? Think again! - November 17th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) May Prevent Heart Attacks and Diabetes - November 16th, 2018
- New Study Concludes: Boosting Testosterone Levels Lowers Men's Death Risk - November 16th, 2018
- More Reasons to Consider Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 16th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy: A Medical Alternative to Bariatric Surgery? - November 16th, 2018
- Male Menopause. Fact or Fiction ? - November 16th, 2018
- The Facts You Need to Know About Testosterone - January 11th, 2018
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
Word Count: 439