Video Download: Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Womens Hearts
Video Stream: Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Womens Hearts
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) may do more than ease hot flashes and mood swings. A new study suggests that women who start taking hormones during menopause might get some protection against heart disease without seeing increases in other serious risks.
The study, which was published in the journal BMJ, tested a theory called the timing hypothesis. In older women, many years past menopause, hormone replacement therapy using both estrogen and progesterone has been shown to raise risks for heart attacks, strokes, blood clots, dementia, and breast cancer.
What has been less clear is whether hormones might be safer and more beneficial if they are replaced as they naturally start to drop off, around the time of menopause. Though the results of the new study look promising, experts who were not involved in the research caution that it is not a game-changer.
"This trial is not a trial that's going to change how we prescribe hormone replacement therapy. This isn't going to change practice. There are issues about this trial", says Suzanne Steinbaum, MD, director of Women and Heart Disease at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City.
But she says the new results are intriguing and should open the door to more research. Women who are symptomatic with hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, mood swings, difficulty concentrating, who are recently menopausal, these women actually might benefit from HRT.
Not just for symptom relief, but for preventing heart attacks and deaths, Steinbaum says. The study randomly split 1,006 healthy Danish women into two groups: The first group got HRT; the second group got no treatment. All the women in the study were near menopause and no more than two years away from their last menstrual period.
The study was designed to run for 20 years. But researchers stopped it early -- after ten years -- when results from the large Women's Health Initiative (WHI) study a decade ago found that women taking combined hormone therapy had more heart attacks, strokes, dangerous blood clots in the legs and lungs, and breast cancer than women taking placebo pills.
Hormone Replacement Therapy May Boost Women's Hearts
Hormone Therapy May Benefit Some Women's Hearts
- Everything You Need to Know About Clomiphene - December 20th, 2020
- Women Can Boost Their Testosterone Just by Acting Like a Boss - December 19th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone and Menopause Management - December 18th, 2020
- Study Examines Link Between Growth Hormones and Osteoporosis - December 17th, 2020
- Menopause Drugs: Study Stokes New Debate Over Cancer Risks - December 16th, 2020
- The Importance of Hormonal Balance for Menopause - December 14th, 2020
- New Study Shows the Debilitating Effect of Smoking on the Brain - December 13th, 2020
- Want to Keep Your Bones Strong and Healthy? Then STAY ACTIVE! - December 12th, 2020
- New Study on Menopause Drugs Stokes Fresh Debate Over Cancer Risk - December 11th, 2020
- Foods and Supplements for Healthy Skin - December 10th, 2020
- Enjoy a Few Drinks Weekly? Beware: This May Be a Link to Poor Sperm Quality - December 9th, 2020
- How To Enjoy An Extended, Youthful Lifespan - December 8th, 2020
- Tylenol Use in Pregnancy May Present a Serious Risk of Lower Testosterone in Boys - December 7th, 2020
- Male Hypogonadism: The Word Men Dread to Hear - December 6th, 2020
- Aerobics May Ease Menopause Symptoms: Study - December 5th, 2020
- L-Arginine: The Key to Both Heart Health and Sexual Health - December 4th, 2020
- Statins May Slow Prostate Cancer Progression - December 3rd, 2020
- Fatherhood and Men's Hormonal Changes - December 2nd, 2020
- Not in the Mood for Sex? Scientists Say “You Just Need More Sleep.” - November 17th, 2020
- Male Blood Panel Work - November 11th, 2020
- Tattoo Safety: What to Know Before You Get a Tattoo - June 2nd, 2020
- High-Intensity Interval Training Boosts Both Body and Mind - May 10th, 2020
- Lipocine Reintroduces Tlando - March 18th, 2020
- Insomnia: The Silent Killer - April 30th, 2019
- How to Understand and Deal with Cirrhosis - April 12th, 2019
- Constantly Tired? Can't Sleep? - March 23rd, 2019
- Osteoporosis: What it is and How You Can Fight and Avoid It - March 10th, 2019
- Are You Constantly Feeling Tired And Fatigued ? - May 1st, 2018
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
Word Count: 378