For ten years, many women going through menopause have shunned hormone replacement therapy after a landmark study suggested a link between HRT and breast cancer.
A new survey, published online in the medical journal BMJ, suggests a flaw in that initial study: The women in the first report started HRT at an average age of 63. The new research follows women who began HRT at the onset of menopause (the 1,006 women involved in the study were white, healthy, and aged 45-58 years old).
The study found that not only was there not an increased risk of cancer for the women on HRT -- they were also less likely to die of heart disease.
Half of the women in the study were given HRT for ten years. After ten years, 15 women in the HRT group had died, and one suffered a heart problem. In the non-HRT group, 26 women had died, and seven had some type of heart problem.
The Danish researchers followed the women for another six years, finding that women not on HRT were 40 per cent more likely to die or suffer a heart problem than the women on HRT. Rates of breast cancer were the same between the two groups.
"This is a very significant piece of research, and should reassure the millions of women who turn to hormone therapy for relief of their menopausal symptoms," said Dr. Roger Lobo, past president of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, in The Telegraph. "This study shows that appropriately used hormone therapy is not only safe but in fact is likely to improve the cardiovascular health of women."
Others, though, urge caution.
"This is a non-informative study with too many shortcomings to list," Wulf Utian, the founding president and former executive director of the North American Menopause Society, told ABC, citing a "minuscule" number of adverse health events, no placebo control, and no description of the randomization method.
In 2002, the Women's Health Initiative stopped its study that involved over 160,000 women ages 50-79, based on its findings that women on HRT were more likely to suffer from aggressive breast cancer.
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- General Physician Versus Hormone Specialist – Some Symptoms Require a Specialist to Heal - March 18th, 2022
- An Introduction to Growth Hormone - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Pneumonia - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and the Hypothalamus Gland - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and the Law - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Gene Therapy - October 26th, 2021
- What Men Need To Know About Testosterone And Growth Hormone - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Explained - October 26th, 2021
- The Best Ways to Boost Growth Hormone - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Sprays - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Dosage - October 26th, 2021
- Insulin-Similar Growth Factor Benefits - October 26th, 2021
- The Benefits of IGF-1 - October 26th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy is Safe - October 26th, 2021
- Estrogen HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Therapy Reverses Biological Age In Groundbreaking Study - October 25th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue: Sermorelin - October 25th, 2021
- Early Hormone Replacement Therapy May Lower Alzheimer Risk - October 25th, 2021
- Slow Aging with Growth Hormone - September 26th, 2021
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - September 18th, 2021
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - August 24th, 2021
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - August 18th, 2021
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - August 16th, 2021
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - August 16th, 2021
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - June 21st, 2021
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - May 25th, 2021
- HGH Secretagogue - May 22nd, 2021
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - May 21st, 2021
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - May 18th, 2021
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - April 30th, 2021
- Marius Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of Two Key Patents Protecting its Proprietary Oral Testosterone Therapy - April 14th, 2021
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - April 12th, 2021
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - April 11th, 2021
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - April 8th, 2021
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - April 7th, 2021
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - March 12th, 2021
Word Count: 378