Video Download: Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy
Video Stream: Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy
A new Danish study offers some reassurance to women using hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for menopausal symptoms: the treatment may not only ease discomfort from hot flashes, but early use also appears not to increase the women's risk of heart problems or death.
Skepticism surrounding hormone replacement therapy stems from the results of the landmark Women's Health Initiative (WHI), a large federal study that was halted in 2002 when study authors linked estrogen-progestin pills to increased risks for heart disease and breast cancer.
Since then, follow-up studies have begun to clarify some of the risks and benefits, finding that, for example, women who take estrogen-only hormone therapy (instead of combination estrogen-progestin pills) shortly after menopause don't have the same elevated heart risks.
In fact, they may even enjoy a lower risk of breast cancer. Only women who have had hysterectomies can take estrogen-only hormone treatments.
In the new study, published in the journal BMJ, researchers divided 1,006 recently menopausal women aged 45 to 58 into one of two groups: an HRT group and a non-HRT group (the women not taking HRT also did not receive a placebo).
Originally, the study, whose participants were initially enrolled in 1990-93, was intended to last 20 years. But at ten years, when results from the WHI came out, the researchers recommended that participants stop taking their hormones. At this point, more women in the non-HRT group had died from heart-related causes.
The researchers continued to track the women for an additional six years and found that women in the HRT group were still less likely to die from heart-related incidents.
By the end of the study, 23 women in the non-HRT group had died of cardiovascular-related causes, and 17 had died of unrelated causes, compared with six women who had died of heart disease among the HRT group and 21 who died from other causes.
Women taking HRT were also less likely to experience a heart attack or heart failure. The authors further report no apparent increase in cancer or stroke among women getting hormone therapy.
However, observers note that the small study numbers make it difficult to draw any firm conclusions from its findings.
Health experts are not quick to change current recommendations for HRT use: doctors prescribe hormone therapy only to relieve the worst menopause symptoms and only for short periods of time, not to prevent chronic conditions like heart disease, cancer, or dementia.
Heart Benefits from Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone Replacement Therapy May Have Heart Health Benefits
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - December 5th, 2020
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 24th, 2020
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 23rd, 2020
- HGH Secretagogue - November 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 21st, 2020
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 20th, 2020
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2020
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - November 17th, 2020
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 17th, 2020
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 16th, 2020
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 14th, 2020
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 13th, 2020
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 10th, 2020
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 9th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - November 8th, 2020
- Gene Therapy - November 7th, 2020
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - November 6th, 2020
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - November 5th, 2020
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - November 3rd, 2020
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - November 2nd, 2020
- IGF-1 Treatment - November 1st, 2020
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - October 31st, 2020
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - October 30th, 2020
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 29th, 2020
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - October 28th, 2020
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - October 27th, 2020
- Early HRT 'May Cut Alzheimer Risk' - October 26th, 2020
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - October 25th, 2020
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - July 1st, 2020
- HGH Therapy Reverses Biological Age by 1.5 Years In Groundbreaking Study - June 20th, 2020
- Marius Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of Two Key Patents Protecting its Proprietary Oral Testosterone Therapy - May 21st, 2020
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 4th, 2019
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - August 6th, 2019
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
Word Count: 423