A recent Danish study has some good news for women undergoing hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for menopausal symptoms: the therapy may both alleviate irritation from hot flashes and not raise the women's risk of heart problems or death.
Skepticism concerning HRT began as a result of the findings of the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), a significant federal study that ended in 2002 when study authors determined that estrogen-progestin pills elevated risks for heart disease and breast cancer.
Subsequent studies clarified some of the risks and benefits. They found that women who take estrogen-only hormone therapy (instead of combination estrogen-progestin pills) soon after menopause don't have the same increased heart risks.
On the contrary, they might even have a decreased risk of breast cancer. Only women who have had hysterectomies can take estrogen-only hormone treatments.
In a new study published in the journal BMJ, researchers divided 1,006 recently menopausal women aged 45 to 58 into one of two groups: an HRT group and a non-HRT group (the women not taking HRT also did not receive a placebo).
At the outset, the study, whose subjects were enrolled in 1990-93, was planned to last 20 years. But after a decade, when results from the WHI were released, the researchers advocated that participants stop the treatment. Up until this time, more women in the non-HRT group had died from heart-related causes.
The researchers continued monitoring the women for an additional six years and determined that women in the HRT group were still at less risk of dying from heart-related afflictions.
At the study's conclusion, 23 women in the non-HRT group had died of cardiovascular-related causes, and 17 had died of unrelated causes, compared with six women who had died of heart disease among the HRT group and 21 who died from other causes.
Women undergoing HRT were also at less risk of experiencing a heart attack or heart failure. The authors could not find any increase in cancer or stroke among women getting hormone therapy.
But observers stated that the small study numbers make it challenging to draw solid conclusions from its findings.
Medical professionals are cautious about changing current treatment protocols for HRT use: doctors prescribe hormone therapy only to ease the worst menopause symptoms and only for a brief time, not to prevent chronic conditions like heart disease, cancer, or dementia.
Heart Benefits from Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Hormone Replacement Therapy May Have Heart Health Benefits
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Hormone Therapies: How They Have Evolved and Are Evolving - May 19th, 2023 [February 10th, 2023]
- Slow Aging with Growth Hormone - July 17th, 2022 [July 17th, 2022]
- Cheaping Out on HGH Therapy – JUST DON’T DO IT - August 1st, 2023 [July 12th, 2022]
- Hormone Impacts And Function Of HGH - July 10th, 2022 [July 10th, 2022]
- General Physician Versus Hormone Specialist – Some Symptoms Require a Specialist to Heal - April 20th, 2023 [March 18th, 2022]
- An Introduction to Growth Hormone - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Pneumonia - November 12th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Hypothalamus Gland - November 13th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and the Law - November 14th, 2023 [October 27th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone and Gene Therapy - November 16th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- What Men Need To Know About Testosterone And Growth Hormone - November 15th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Explained - November 25th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Best Ways to Boost Growth Hormone - November 22nd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Sprays - November 17th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Dosage - November 18th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Insulin-Similar Growth Factor Benefits - November 24th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- The Benefits of IGF-1 - November 20th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy is Safe - November 23rd, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Estrogen HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - November 19th, 2023 [October 26th, 2021]
- Growth Hormone Therapy Reverses Biological Age In Groundbreaking Study - November 21st, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Stimulate HGH: Growth Hormone Secretagogue: Sermorelin Acetate - November 29th, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Early Hormone Replacement Therapy May Lower Alzheimer Risk - November 23rd, 2023 [October 25th, 2021]
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - January 24th, 2022 [September 18th, 2021]
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 29th, 2023 [August 24th, 2021]
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - December 1st, 2023 [August 16th, 2021]
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - November 9th, 2021 [August 16th, 2021]
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - August 16th, 2023 [June 21st, 2021]
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 9th, 2021 [May 25th, 2021]
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - March 16th, 2022 [May 24th, 2021]
- HGH Secretagogue - November 9th, 2021 [May 22nd, 2021]
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - March 15th, 2022 [May 21st, 2021]
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 9th, 2021 [May 18th, 2021]
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - November 9th, 2021 [April 30th, 2021]
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - November 9th, 2021 [April 12th, 2021]
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - November 9th, 2021 [April 11th, 2021]
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - November 9th, 2021 [April 8th, 2021]
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - November 9th, 2021 [April 7th, 2021]
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 9th, 2021 [March 12th, 2021]