Women who begin taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) within five years of the onset of menopause may reduce their risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, a study suggests.
Scientists monitored 1,768 women aged 65 and over for 11 years, taking note of their history of HRT use.
During the study, 176 women developed Alzheimer's disease.
The researchers found that women who started HRT within five years of the onset of menopause had a 30% lower risk of Alzheimer's than those who had not used hormone therapy.
The threat was unchanged among HRT users who began the treatment more than five years after the start of menopause. A higher risk of dementia was seen in women who started combined estrogen and progestin therapy when they were at least 65 years old.
"This has been an area of debate because observational studies have shown a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease with hormone therapy use, while a randomized controlled trial showed an increased risk," said study leader Dr. Peter Zandi, from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, US.
"Our results suggest that there may be a critical window near menopause where hormone therapy may be beneficial. On the other hand, if started later in life, hormone therapy could be associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's disease."
The research is published in the latest online issue of the journal Neurology.
Dr. Victor Henderson, from Stanford University in California, who wrote an accompanying editorial, said: "More research is needed before we can make new clinical recommendations for women and their use of hormone therapy."
Dr. Simon Ridley, from Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "Previous research into HRT has shown mixed results, but this useful study suggests the timing of hormone use may be critical for either raising or reducing the risk of Alzheimer's.
More work is needed to understand this link and help women make informed decisions about whether to start HRT, and these findings could be significant for guiding future research in this area.
"Any medication may carry some potential benefits and drawbacks, and anyone concerned about hormone replacement therapy should speak to their GP."
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - September 18th, 2021
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - August 24th, 2021
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - August 18th, 2021
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - August 16th, 2021
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - August 16th, 2021
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - June 21st, 2021
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - May 25th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - May 24th, 2021
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - May 23rd, 2021
- HGH Secretagogue - May 22nd, 2021
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - May 21st, 2021
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - May 20th, 2021
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - May 19th, 2021
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - May 18th, 2021
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - May 14th, 2021
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - May 9th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - May 8th, 2021
- Gene Therapy - May 7th, 2021
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - May 5th, 2021
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - May 4th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - May 3rd, 2021
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - May 2nd, 2021
- IGF-1 Treatment - May 1st, 2021
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - April 30th, 2021
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - April 28th, 2021
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - April 25th, 2021
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - April 21st, 2021
- HGH Therapy Reverses Biological Age by 1.5 Years In Groundbreaking Study - April 15th, 2021
- Marius Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of Two Key Patents Protecting its Proprietary Oral Testosterone Therapy - April 14th, 2021
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - April 13th, 2021
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - April 12th, 2021
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - April 11th, 2021
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - April 8th, 2021
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - April 7th, 2021
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - March 12th, 2021
Word Count: 363