Women who begin taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) within five years of the onset of menopause may reduce their risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, a study suggests.
Scientists monitored 1,768 women aged 65 and over for 11 years, taking note of their history of HRT use.
During the study, 176 women developed Alzheimer's disease.
The researchers found that women who started HRT within five years of the onset of menopause had a 30% lower risk of Alzheimer's than those who had not used hormone therapy.
The threat was unchanged among HRT users who began the treatment more than five years after the start of menopause. A higher risk of dementia was seen in women who started combined estrogen and progestin therapy when they were at least 65 years old.
"This has been an area of debate because observational studies have shown a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease with hormone therapy use, while a randomized controlled trial showed an increased risk," said study leader Dr. Peter Zandi, from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, US.
"Our results suggest that there may be a critical window near menopause where hormone therapy may be beneficial. On the other hand, if started later in life, hormone therapy could be associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's disease."
The research is published in the latest online issue of the journal Neurology.
Dr. Victor Henderson, from Stanford University in California, who wrote an accompanying editorial, said: "More research is needed before we can make new clinical recommendations for women and their use of hormone therapy."
Dr. Simon Ridley, from Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "Previous research into HRT has shown mixed results, but this useful study suggests the timing of hormone use may be critical for either raising or reducing the risk of Alzheimer's. More work is needed to understand this link and help women make informed decisions about whether to start HRT, and these findings could be significant for guiding future research in this area.
"Any medication may carry some potential benefits and drawbacks, and anyone concerned about hormone replacement therapy should speak to their GP."
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - June 22nd, 2019
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - March 5th, 2019
- A Toxic Hormone Seems to Be Changing the Sex of Fish in U.S. Rivers - February 26th, 2019
- Welcome to HGH and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - February 22nd, 2019
- Researchers Ponder Why Estrogen-Only HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - February 10th, 2019
- Doctors Call For New Guidelines as Study Finds HRT 'is Safe - and Can Protect Heart' - February 9th, 2019
- IGF-1 Treatment - February 8th, 2019
- About IGF-1 Also Known as Somatomedin C - February 8th, 2019
- Human Growth Hormone Options for Administration - February 8th, 2019
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - February 2nd, 2019
- HGH Sprays -- Fact, Fiction or Scam? - January 29th, 2019
- Gene Therapy - December 24th, 2018
- The Best Ways to Boost Your Levels of HGH - November 27th, 2018
- Human Growth Hormone Explained - November 27th, 2018
- Esquire: Hormone Replacement Therapy For Men: A Review - November 21st, 2018
- Behavioral Therapy May Help Hot Flashes - November 21st, 2018
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - November 21st, 2018
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - November 21st, 2018
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - November 21st, 2018
- How to Keep Your Human Growth Hormone Treatments Legal - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - November 19th, 2018
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - November 19th, 2018
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - November 19th, 2018
- Toxins Could Explain Pneumonia Damage While a Hormone Could be the Cure, Researchers Say - November 19th, 2018
- HGH Secretagogue - November 17th, 2018
- Injectable HGH Therapy Manual and Wiki Guide - November 17th, 2018
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - November 16th, 2018
- The Miracle of the Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue Sermorelin - January 30th, 2018
- What You Need to Know About the Hypothalamus Gland - January 30th, 2018
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Word Count: 366