Women who begin taking hormone replacement therapy (HRT) within five years of the onset of menopause may reduce their risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, a study suggests.
Scientists monitored 1,768 women aged 65 and over for 11 years, taking note of their history of HRT use.
During the study, 176 women developed Alzheimer's disease.
The researchers found that women who started HRT within five years of the onset of menopause had a 30% lower risk of Alzheimer's than those who had not used hormone therapy.
The threat was unchanged among HRT users who began the treatment more than five years after the start of menopause. A higher risk of dementia was seen in women who started combined estrogen and progestin therapy when they were at least 65 years old.
"This has been an area of debate because observational studies have shown a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease with hormone therapy use, while a randomized controlled trial showed an increased risk," said study leader Dr. Peter Zandi, from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, US.
"Our results suggest that there may be a critical window near menopause where hormone therapy may be beneficial. On the other hand, if started later in life, hormone therapy could be associated with an increased risk of developing Alzheimer's disease."
The research is published in the latest online issue of the journal Neurology.
Dr. Victor Henderson, from Stanford University in California, who wrote an accompanying editorial, said: "More research is needed before we can make new clinical recommendations for women and their use of hormone therapy."
Dr. Simon Ridley, from Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "Previous research into HRT has shown mixed results, but this useful study suggests the timing of hormone use may be critical for either raising or reducing the risk of Alzheimer's.
More work is needed to understand this link and help women make informed decisions about whether to start HRT, and these findings could be significant for guiding future research in this area.
"Any medication may carry some potential benefits and drawbacks, and anyone concerned about hormone replacement therapy should speak to their GP."
Contact Us Today For A Free Consultation
Once you have completing the above contact form, for security purposes and confirmation, please confirm your information by calling us.
Please call now: 1-800-380-5339.
Welcoming You To Our Clinic, Professor Tom Henderson.
- Slow Aging with Growth Hormone - July 17th, 2022
- Cheaping Out on HGH Therapy – JUST DON’T DO IT - July 12th, 2022
- Hormone Impacts And Function Of HGH - July 10th, 2022
- General Physician Versus Hormone Specialist – Some Symptoms Require a Specialist to Heal - March 18th, 2022
- An Introduction to Growth Hormone - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Pneumonia - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Testosterone Replacement Therapy - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and the Hypothalamus Gland - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and the Law - October 27th, 2021
- Growth Hormone and Gene Therapy - October 26th, 2021
- What Men Need To Know About Testosterone And Growth Hormone - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Explained - October 26th, 2021
- The Best Ways to Boost Growth Hormone - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Sprays - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Dosage - October 26th, 2021
- Insulin-Similar Growth Factor Benefits - October 26th, 2021
- The Benefits of IGF-1 - October 26th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy is Safe - October 26th, 2021
- Estrogen HRT May Reduce Breast Cancer Risk - October 26th, 2021
- Growth Hormone Therapy Reverses Biological Age In Groundbreaking Study - October 25th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone Secretagogue: Sermorelin - October 25th, 2021
- Comprehensive Hormone Replacement Therapy with Tesamorelin - September 18th, 2021
- Risks of Hormones in Early Menopause Challenged - August 24th, 2021
- Heart Benefits From Hormone Replacement Therapy? - August 18th, 2021
- New Research: Cognitive Therapy Could Reduce Menopausal Hot Flashes - August 16th, 2021
- A Toxic Hormone is Altering the Sex and Reproduction of Aquatic Life in United States Streams - August 16th, 2021
- Act Now to Prevent the Increasingly Common Condition of Hypothyroidism - June 21st, 2021
- The HGH Recommended Medical Dosage - The Importance of Blood Work - May 25th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Safe, Study Suggests - May 24th, 2021
- HGH Secretagogue - May 22nd, 2021
- Androgel : Men Getting Their Mojo Back! - May 21st, 2021
- Hormone Therapy May Help Cut Alzheimer's Risk - May 18th, 2021
- Finally Explained: The Mysterious Pineal Gland - April 30th, 2021
- Marius Pharmaceuticals Announces Issuance of Two Key Patents Protecting its Proprietary Oral Testosterone Therapy - April 14th, 2021
- Andropause From The Wikipedia Encyclopedia - April 12th, 2021
- The Importance of Luteinizing Hormone - April 11th, 2021
- Melatonin: The Body's Master Clock - April 8th, 2021
- LCN2 Hormone Suppresses Hunger and Discourages Overeating - April 7th, 2021
- New Research on Hormone Replacement Therapy - March 12th, 2021